|TRAINING AND DOCUMENTATION MATERIALS:
NEWS AND UPDATES:
||The Master WCOSS Transition spreadsheet has been updated.
||The WCOSS Transition Request Form has been added under 'Training and Documentation Materials' and will be used by all developers when handing codes off to the SPA team for testing.
||The Master WCOSS Libraries spreadsheet has been updated.
||The Master WCOSS Libraries spreadsheet has been updated and now includes Eddy information.
||Once you have successfully logged into both Current1 and Eddy please forward any further software or hardware information requests/queries to email@example.com.
||The Master WCOSS Transition and Libaries spreadsheets have been updated.
||The WCOSS High Level Overview has been added under 'Training and Documentation Materials'.
||The Master WCOSS Transition Spreadsheet and Library List have been updated.
||New information regarding backing up data on current 1/2 and the SPA office collection of libraries and utilities are in bold under 'Important Information and FAQs' below.
||LSF training dates/times have been posted. See 'Important Information and FAQs' below for more information.
||The Master WCOSS Transition Spreadsheet has been updated.
||The preliminary compile of GEMPAK has been done on zeus and current. It is available for testing at: /home/Bradley.Mabe on zeus and /u/wx11bm/nawips1 on current. Not all of the Gui programs are available due to some problems with the link step, however all of the GEMPAK libraries are available and look to be working correctly in tests with the decoders.
A new master WCOSS graphics and util spreadsheet has been added under 'Training and Documentation Material'.
||The latest master WCOSS transition spreadsheet (work in progress) has been added under 'Training and Documentation Materials'.
||Additional approved Part I WCOSS Transition Checklist and Certification Documents have been added. Please refer to the dropdown list under 'Training and Documentation Materials'.
||Approved Part I WCOSS Transition Checklist and Certification Documents for the Global and Mesoscale systems have been added. Please refer to the dropdown list under 'Training and Documentation Materials'.
||A link has been added under 'Training and Documentation Materials' to download the WCOSS User Account Application.
||WCOSS training for the early access systems called "current1" and "current2":
Wednesday, May 2, 2012, 1:00 - 4:00 PM, WWB room 209
Wednesday, May 16, 2012, 1:00 - 4:00 PM, WWB room 209
||First part of WCOSS (Current) opened to first set of porting users. More users being added soon. View IBM docs page on system here.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION AND FAQs: click [+/-] to open information if not already open
Once you have successfully logged into both Current1 and Eddy please forward any further software or hardware information requests/queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
IBM Docs page for Eddy:
Latest Information as of July 6: [+/-]
The preliminary compile of GEMPAK has been done on zeus and current. It is available for testing at: /home/Bradley.Mabe on zeus and /u/wx11bm/nawips1 on current. Not all of the Gui programs are available due to some problems with the link step, however all of the GEMPAK libraries are available and look to be working correctly in tests with the decoders.
IBM Docs page for Current (2 node WCOSS machine):
System Specifications (current 1 and 2):
Intel S2R2 Series SDP (Romley-EP):
2x Intel Xeon Processor E5-2680
(8-Core, Sandy Bridge-EP, C1, QBEB)
[2.70GHz, 20MB Cache, 8.0GT/s QPI]
16x 4GB PC3L-10600R ECC RAM (64GB total)
1x 1TB 7200 RPM 3.5" SATA HDD
Supports up to 4 3.5" SAS HDDs in hot-swap bay
Intel Server board S2600CP (Canoe Pass)
4U Rackmount Chassis (Union Peak-M)
July 16, 2012 [Luis Cano]
- NCO will copy a snapshot of the CCS data (canned data) to the Reston system as soon as the Reston system becomes available. This canned data will be copied as-is and not converted to little-endian.
- NCO working with the developers will create a second copy of the canned data in little-endian.
- The Developers certification of software systems/applications will be in little-endian as much as possible when handed off to PMB, e.g., the final certification by the Developers will be in little-endian. There is flexibility to continue to use big-endian due to customers using big-endian or if it is not practical to convert the entire system/application to little-endian. The Developers and PMB are empowered to make these decisions through coordination with the PM.
- The static fixed files will be converted as appropriate to
little-endian by the Developers and these fixed files will be included in the systems/applications hand-off package to PMB.
- The transition will use George Vandenberghe's version of w3lib on Current1/2, Eddy and the Reston system -- George's w3lib will be the starting point for the transition for this library. George will add missing functions as they are reported up to the time the master library is installed on the Reston system; the master libraries will be installed on the Reston system as soon as the Reston system becomes available.
- The transition team members can request functions to be added to w3lib (not all functions were ported due to being thought not used) and the request needs to include a unit test. Please send these requests plus unit test to email@example.com, and copy ncep.list.SPA-Helpdesk@noaa.gov and firstname.lastname@example.org.
- As a separate action, the PM will coordinate meetings to achieve a decision on the support of the w3lib, i.e., currently there is no agreement on how w3lib is comprehensively supported in the CCS environment.
- George Vanderberge will submit an initial data plan for the Reston system for the team to review -- this will help to address the little/big-endian challenge [George submitted his draft plan since the 7/16 WCOSS Monday meeting for the Team's review and comments].
- As libraries are readied, these libraries will be placed/symlinked under there appropriate nwprod path on current1/2 and eventually eddy and ultimately will be the master libraries installed on the Reston system as soon as the Reston system becomes available. The libraries will contain version numbers. Status and completed libraries (including documentation) by the different library teams/developers need to be sent to ncep.list.SPA-Helpdesk@noaa.gov and copy email@example.com soonest.
- The bufr library v10.1 will be the starting point for the transition. This version of the bufr library will be made available under current1/2 nwprod path.
- Hank brought up the question of when the RFC process will start. There was discussion starting the RFC process when the Reston system
is made available and when the acceptance period starts and even sooner. The PM will coordinate meetings to achieve a decision of when the RFC process will start.
- Planning for a 600Mbps dataflow when the Reston system first becomes available (Aug 31, 2012) and a full 10Gbps dataflow by mid October, 2012 when one of two 10Gbps WAN circuit is brought up with the Reston system.
- The LSF training for 7/18 will be rescheduled for 8/1. The LSF training planned for 7/26 is still on-track.
- Joe Devine reported the the ship date for Reston is 8/8 delivery date is 8/10.
- Farid Parpia is planning to be onsite in WWB on Wednesday, 7/18 to meet with PMB on SMS and ecFLOW.
May 14, 2012 [Luis Cano]
- Currently, NetCDF v3.5.0 is used with CCS production and does not compile on the early access system Current1/2.
- Development currently uses versions 3.6 and 4.0 (both on the CCS and Zeus?).
- From the meeting, there was agreement to test against NetCDF 4.2.0 on Current1/2 (with the understanding that only a limited amount of testing is possible on Current1/2). If NetCDF 4.2 works, then the plan is to go operational with NetCDF 4.2 on the Reston and Orlando Phase 1 systems.
- NetCDF 4.0 is currently installed on Current 1/2 under /usrx/local. Speaking with Hank, the plan is to have NetCDF versions 3.6 and 4.2 available under /usrx/local by Wednesday, 23May2012 on Current 1/2.
- The team will use the WCOSS weekly meeting to report status of testing against NetCDF 4.2.
- During the meeting, it was reported out to the team that NCO/PMB has the lead on NetCDF for production.
- Part I WCOSS Transition Checklist and Certification Documents have been approved for the Global and Mesoscale software systems/applications (thank you Moorthi and Geoff). These documents will be available (soon) at the http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/mtt/wcoss.php.
- The draft library spreadsheet will be updated with the locations of the libraries on Current1/2 and will by made available at http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/mtt/wcoss.php website (the spreadsheet is currently there but out of date -- will be updated by early next week with the current state). Please note the libraries is a work-in-progress on Current1/2. The plan is to have a master set of the libraries by Aug2012 in time for the full Phase 1 Reston System that will be available Sep2012. The spreadsheet will be updated at the Website as the library work progress on Current1/2.
- There is an issue with RHEL6 and DBNet. A solution is in the process of being implemented and the plan is to have the dataflow up and running (not with the full dataflow, more of a minimal test) by the end of May2012 on Current1/2.
- WCOSS training was conducted for Current1/2 on Wednesday, 16May2012.
April 23, 2012 [Luis Cano]
- Background info: The WCOSS end-to-validation overview and the WCOSS transition test checklist/certification document contains the updates from the NCO and EMC leadership meeting dated 4/20/2012. The updated documents were reviewed today (4/23) at the weekly WCOSS meeting with the broader team and minor clarification edits were made to the attached documents. There is agreement from the team of the attached documents.
- Team reviewed the high level view of the end-to-end transition and validation process and the test checklist/certification document.
- For the end-to-end transition document, $EMC was changed to $DEV to indicate development organizations.
- On the test checklist & certification document, subversion revision numbers or tags was added; also changed EMC to "development organizations".
- There was agreement on the development organization submitting the software systems to NCO with the vertical structures. Please note for each of the systems, the vertical structure may not be in its final form and may contain duplication -- per the meeting discussions, this is consistent with the agreed approach from NCO and EMC from the Equivalence Project.
- There was agreement of seeking approval for planned changes as discussed with the NCO and EMC leaders on Friday 4/20/2012.
- There was agreement in using the EMC transition website for information sharing, please see: http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/index.php?branch=mtt.
- During the meeting, NCO director approved the attached WCOSS transition test checklist and certification document.
- After the meeting, PM emailed request to EMC director for his approval for the transition checklist and certification document.
- The team would like to start filling out the transition checklist and certification document tomorrow (4/24) initiate the approval process for planned changes.