NCEP National Stage II Analyses
- What is NCEP Stage II analysis?
- National multi-sensor hourly precipitation analysis, based
on hourly radar precipitation estimates from the ~140 WSR-88D
radars over CONUS, and the ~3,000 automated gauge reports
transmitted via the GOES Data Collection Platform. Produced
at NCEP at ~35 minutes after the top of the hour, and again at
T+6h and T+18h.
- Main Developers:
- EMC: Mike Baldwin, Ken Mitchell, Ying Lin
- CPC: Sid Katz
- OHD: D.J. Seo, Paul Tilles, Ben Weiger, Brian Jackson
- Much of the development of the NCEP Stage II and related producted
has been sponsored by the
GEWEX Americas Prediction Project (GAPP, formerly know as GCIP)
- 6 Oct 2006: one-week on-line rotating archive discontinued
- 22 Feb 2006: intent to discontinue the one-week on-line rotating
archive sent to existing users (those who had left their email
address in anonymous FTP) and posted on line
- 11 May 2004:
grid number changed from 240 to 255 (same physical grid)
- 31 Jul 2002: old analysis discontinued.
- 1 Jan 2002: new grid/format analyses began to be archived at
- 10 Jul 2001: began operational production of the NCEP Stage II.
New grid/file naming convention adopted.
List of changes
- 1 May 1996: Stage II analysis began to be archived at
- 1995-1996: Mike Baldwin implemented the OHD Stage II algorithm at
- Images (left panel is Stage II):
- Where to get NCEP Stage II:
- Log of problem hours (since 1 Aug 2001)
- Questions and Answers
- Links to NCEP Stage IV and
other precipitation products
NCEP/EMC Mesoscale Modeling Branch
GAPP/GCIP Project at NCEP/EMC