NARR CD Corrections
Corrections to the NARR CD-ROM
- In both the Shafran et al. and the Mesinger et al. papers, corrections need to be noted in the tables.
- In Table 2 of both papers, only winds are assimilated from the TOVS-1B data.
- Table 3 needs to be changed also. The vegetation and the baseline snowfree albedo are more properly daily climatologies than fixed fields. There are different daily values, but they do not change from year to year.
- The following are the actual fixed fields:
- Land mask (land=1, sea=0)
- Vegetation type (index; 1-13)
- Soil type (index; 1-9)
- Surface slope type (index)
- Maximum snow albedo (%)
- Surface roughness length (m)
- Soil column bottom temperature (K)
- Number of root zone soil layers
- In Table 3, note that the sigma-level files from the Global Reanalysis is neither a fixed field nor a climatology.
- The surface files refer only to the cold start of the NARR. All land states are cycled throughout each stream and are not reinitialized.
- Regarding precipitation, we have discovered that 2002 was run with incorrect data for assimilation over Mexico. We inadvertently used precipitation that had a value of zero over Mexico throughout 2002. We are in the process of re-running this particular year, and will make the new precipitation PNGs available when it is completed.