NOAA/NWS/NCEP/EMC Global Climate & Weather Modeling Branch
Resume: download here
|Certificate in GIS|
|NCEP/EMC Tasks and Responsibilities (with links to pages I maintain)
Global Climate & Weather Modeling Branch at NCEP/EMC - GFS POC
- Global Branch homepage - link
- Global Forecast System (GFS) POC & homepage - link
- Global Forecast System (GFS) experimental documentation and support - link
Masters thesis completed August 2009
Development and Evaluation of a Real-time Coupled Atmosphere-Wave Regional Forecast System for the National Weather Service. Click to view thesis
Katherine Howard. The Impact of Atmospheric Model Resolution on a Coupled Wind/Wave Forecast System. 89th Annual AMS Meeting, 16th Conference on Air–Sea Interaction. January 14th, 2009. View AMS abstract
Katherine Howard, co-author. A High-Resolution Coupled Real-Time Atmosphere/Wave Forecast System for the Coastal Zone. 2008 AGU Ocean Sciences Meeting. March 3rd, 2008.
EMC Data denial sensitivity experiments
JPSS - denial of polar orbiting satellite data - 2011
Work was part of request from NOAA management to study the impact of removing this data from the global model. Results were presented to NOAA management as well as interested parties in the Obama administration
Hurricane Irene - denial of dropsonde and supplemental rawinsonde data collected during Hurricane Irene (2011) - 2011/2012
Work was requested by NWS and NCEP management to study the impact of the additional data collected prior and during Hurricane Irene's landfall in August 2011. Research and analysis is still ongoing. Preliminary results were presented to EMC, HPC, and OPC personnel in January 2012. A paper highlighting the results is in progress and abstracts have been submitted to several meteorological conferences in 2012.
WSR Verification 2012 - Final report
- Kate Howard; and Michael J. Brennan, and Sharanya J. Majumdar. Analysis of the Impact of Supplemental Dropwindsonde and Rawinsonde Observations on Model Track Forecasts of Hurricane Irene (2011). Submitted to 2012 Interdepartmental Hurricane Conference and 2013 Annual AMS Meeting (https://ams.confex.com/ams/93Annual/webprogram/Paper215448.html).
- Majumdar, Sharanya J., Michael J. Brennan, Kate Howard, 2013: The Impact of Dropwindsonde and Supplemental Rawinsonde Observations on Track Forecasts for Hurricane Irene (2011). Wea. Forecasting, 28, 1385–1403.